Packing Tips from the Experts
The holidays are such a time of joy, and one of my favorite parts is traveling to see family! Good food, laughter, and hugs make it so special, but packing to get there always leaves me with a feeling of dread. I agonize over every single item.
In 2022, I resolve to make packing easier and to finally be one of the people who can vacation for a week using only one suitcase!
To learn how I did some research to find out what the experts do. Here are five of their best packing tips.
1. Santa tells us to “make a list and check it twice.” We need to follow his advice. A bit of planning will go a long way in helping you pack. Your list should include both essentials and trip-specific items. Not only will the list ensure you don’t forget anything, but it will also help you know if you’re over or under packing.
2. Think 3:1. This ratio works well when it comes to packing- three tops for every one bottom. Most trips will work with nine tops and three bottoms. It is easiest to make this happen if you stick with clothing in neutral colors. Everything can mix and match so you have plenty of options. As hard as it is to imagine, you only need three pairs of shoes: running or exercise shoes, walking shoes, and a pair of sandals or flip-flops.
3. Select clothing made of material that travels well. No one wants to think about ironing while on vacation. Synthetic fabrics, as well as wool, denim, and knit all travel well. The color of the clothing matters also as darker colors tend to hide wrinkles better.
4. Less stuff, less stress. Even Coco Chanel said, “Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.” Take a hard look at your bag. Do you really need the extra outfits because you’re not sure what you’re going to feel like wearing? Instead of bringing extra clothing items, pack the ones you love and wear them with joy!
5. Embrace trying new toiletries. The vast majority of hotels provide soap, shampoo, conditioner, and other toiletries. While these may not be the ones to which you are accustomed, carrying your toiletries takes up valuable space. Additionally, they can become quite heavy. The same can be true for your hairdryer. If you must use your own toiletries, invest in refillable, travel-sized bottles which follow TSA guidelines.
By following these tips, we will no longer be weighed down by the thought of packing. Instead, we will be well on our way to our next destination!
I wish you well. I wish you safe and happy travels. And I can’t wait to see you under a Canopy of Stars.